Saturday 22 September 2012

Roasted cherry tomato, cheese & caramelised red onion tart



My house is currently inundated with tomatoes. 

My dad has been growing them for what feels like forever and suddenly after months of nothing we are overwhelmed with tomatoes. He is putting them on everything he can to try and use them up. I have tomatoes for breakfast, lunch and dinner. This is why I decided to use as many as I can and make this tart.

What you need:
  1. Cherry tomatoes - a bowl full!
  2. Onions - 2 whole onions (red or white - I used one of each)
  3. Shortcrust pastry - No I do not make my own!
  4. Gruyer cheese (I used mozzarella as well although I would also recommend goats cheese)
  5. Balsamic vinegar
Step 1: Turn on the oven and chop your onions and cherry tomatoes in halves.




(My dad calls his tomatoes his children so couldn't be around for the execution).


Conjoined twin tomatoes!

Step 2 : Roll out the pastry and shape it around your bowl.



Step 3: Fry your onions in a saucepan with salt for 10 minutes until soft, turn the heat down and add the balsamic vinegar and let them cook.


Whilst the onions are cooking..

Step 4: Put the pastry in the oven for around 15 minutes with a bowl on top to stop it rising. 


Step 5: Now the pastry and onions are ready, cover the bottom of tart evenly with the onions.


Step 6: Layer the cheese on top and the tomatoes face down.



Finally... place the tart in the oven for around 15 minutes.

Keep your eye on the tart to judge when it is ready and voila!



No comments:

Post a Comment